Monday, April 16, 2012

We Joined Too...

Just over a year ago my husband and I decided that it was finally the right time for us to join the military. Not that I joined, per say, but for all intents and purposes, I have joined too. You see, my husband and I are the very best of friends and we made the decision together, as it is a big decision and something that effects both of us. He technically signed on all the dotted lines, and he essentially is the one going through all the training, he is technically the one who graduated and he is ultimately the one who has enlisted to serve his country and to lay his life on the line. But, as all spouses or significant others that are with a member of the military, we will tell you that even though we didn't necessarily enlist as a soldier, a marine or an airmen, and that if we are a good spouse and we love our soldier and the only place we would ever be is right beside them and completely behind them, then we too have enlisted in our own army. We are wives, husbands, fiancés, girlfriends, boyfriends...we are the strength of our families and the strength of our soldiers, and essentially the strength of our nation. We are the ones that deal with the day to day struggles, the ones that keep it all together, the ones that make sure we are there for our soldier when they come home from a long day at work or a long year down range. We are making sure the bills are paid, the pets and kids are loved, the house is maintained and that our soldier never ever doubts our love and commitment to them and to the life that we have chosen and are so proud to be a part of.

I know that I haven't even begun to experience the whole spectrum of being an Army wife...all the moving, the deployments, one day raising kids alone the majority of the time and all the other things that come with this life. I know that there are a lot of things that are going require a lot of me. But I am ready for them and hope I can face those challenges with grace and strength and make myself and my soldier proud of my abilities and my commitment.


This journey and this commitment is just as hard on the spouses left behind, but we, like our soldiers, don't want your pity, we don't want to be commended for our sacrifices and we don't need to be applauded for all we do. It is enough for us to know that we make a difference in our soldier's life and that we are an essential part to their success. We are happy to be there for them and also for each other. We are at peace knowing that we are surrounded by those who are going through the same things and that we have a support group that truly understand us. We are members of our own army and we chose this life and wouldn't trade it for anything. We are strong. We are proud. We are faithful. We are an Army family.

No comments:

Post a Comment